The self storage industry is one of the fastest growing businesses in the United States, and is showing no signs of stopping anytime soon. There are currently 58,000 self storage facilities around the world (and still growing), but most of them are found and based in the U.S. – 46,000 of them to be exact.
This relatively young industry, which is believed to have started in the 60’s, is booming because it is filling a gaping necessity that most Americans can definitely relate to, which is ample space to store extra belongings and other unnecessary clutter at affordable rates.
Another aspect that contributes to the popularity of self storage is flexibility. Unlike other storage facilities that have strict rules and extra fees when it comes to accessing your own things, most self storage owners give their customers a reasonably flexible schedule and more control with their time without any charge at all.
What to Look for in a Self Storage Facility?
Obviously, a good self storage facility should have enough space for all your storing needs without having to unpack all your things should you decide to access the properties you entrusted to them. Self storage also usually sells packing materials (tape, boxes, etc.) to aid in securing your things in place.
Check the unit itself if it is clean, free of dust and has dehumidifiers to protect the quality of your belongings. If not, try to bring one to your unit if you are planning a long term contract with the facility. Also, your unit must also have smoke detectors and fire alarms just in case of a fire. Hey, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Security of the area must also be observed and taken into consideration. Even though most self storage facilities have insurance in case of damage or loss, be certain that the area has enough security guards and CCTV cameras to ensure that your items are in good hands. Self storage companies also require you to bring your own lock; choose one that is sturdy and not easily broken.
Choose a self storage that has some form of fence or barricade to deter thieves or robbers. An ideal self storage facility should also have a system that only grants access to authorized individuals within the facility.
Who can benefit from self storage services? The possibilities are endless when it comes to what you want to put in your space, but the ones below are the most common reasons people use a self storage service:
1. Families who are moving residence from one place to another can greatly benefit from this service without having to worry about the safety and security of their appliances, furniture, clothes and much more.
2. If you have a loved one that has passed away, but you couldn’t quite get yourself to rid of his belongings for reasons of nostalgia can turn to the service of a self-storage facility.
3. People who have things that they have an emotional attachment for like childhood toys, books or clothes, memorabilia etc.
4. Business owners who have stocks and supplies to store can utilize a self storage facility.
5. Parents whose children have grown up and already living with their family.